Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Thanksgiving tempeh prep did not go as planned. The soybeans weren't quite as soft as I'd like them to be when I had finished cooking them before inoculation (over the weekend before T-day). Come to think of it I cold soaked them instead of a boil-and-soak like I usually do, and had trouble getting them de-hulled. I didn't think too much of it, but the straight-soy tempeh turned out a little wet, a little too much stinking of ammonia. Oddly enough, the mostly-peanut tempeh, which was about 1/3 the same soybeans, turned out divine.

I decided to do one more quick, all-soy batch. I did EVERYTHING right this time. I did a boil-and-soak, the hulls came off easily, and I only inoculated the beans when they were good and cooked. The tempeh turned out perfect, and Tim reports that it went over very well at the Rudin/Rennick T-day feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment