Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Super-Dense Tempeh

I decided to whip up a batch of basic tempeh for my sister and her family as a surprise. They are already tempeh fans generally, and I credit their frequent enjoyment of 'tempeh fries' with starting the itch in my brain about tempeh as a more-widely marketable food.

For some strange reason I started with a third less dry soybeans than I had planned on. All went smoothly until I started packing the bags for incubation. Both bags weren't looking as full as I likes, so I decided to pack the whole batch into one baggie. I ended up with an extra-dense bag of innoculated soybeans, and it looked pathetic 22 hours later when I pulled it out of the incubator. Still, it didn't SMELL pathetic, so I jabbed it with a toothpick to give it some more air, let it go a little longer, and was pleased to see some proper fluff on the outside. In the end I didn't trust it enough to give it away, but I fried it up last night. I was right to be suspicious. It didn't smell bad, and it didn't taste bad, but it didn't taste particularly good either - none of that mushroom fragrance I go for.

No comments:

Post a Comment